budapest

budapest

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A different kind of Thanksgiving...

Matthew with the Trukey...
So... Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here in Austria (Obviously, cause it's and American holiday) and so we had class ... and of course with my luck I had a test in the one class I had that day, German. It wasn't too bad. After class my German conversation group met with our Austrian girl and had lunch at Haci's kebap (it's a Turkish food, kind of like a greek guerro only not...) then came back to our rooms.

Well finally it was dinner time. We headed over the the restraunt where we were to meet our teachers and some other guests. I sat next to this 92 year old woman (who only spoke german)and her daughter, the woman used to host students in her home which would have been way cool, as well as some of my classmates. To start off the night the upper german class put on a skit about the first Thanksgiving in America... SO FUNNY.



Pumpkin soup
the other German class

my chocolate muffin
 Then came a German thank you song and a prayer then time to eat. First we had pumpkin soup. Then we had turkey and mashed potatoes and stuffing and some mixed vegetables. Not bad for the Austrian version :). We ate and talked for a long time. Then they brought out dessert... chocolate muffins, some other kind of muffin, topfin strudel (not quite sure what this is...) and apple strudel. NO PIE :(, I dont think they have pie here... our conversation partner was appalled when we said we normally eat pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, she couldn't believe we eat pumpkin sweet.

After dinner it was time for more entertainment... We all sang 99 Luftballoons, pretty funny cause all you can really understand is "99 luftballoons" the rest is kind of a jumble.


After that we had a little trivia quiz about Austria, it was supposed to be a self quiz but the old lady and her daughter helped me and I won second place so I gave them the prize, which was a pretzle on a string made into a necklace. After that the boys in our group sang The Weight. And then the picture frenzy started.
old lady and her pretzle medallion
our group

No comments:

Post a Comment