budapest

budapest

Friday, December 3, 2010

Most spontaneous adventure EVER!!!

Definetly the craziest thing I have ever done! oh how I will miss this... I know I will probably be scolded for this...
So, Wed at 5pm Kate asked me if I wanted to go to Budapest, Hangary with her the next day... I though about it and a few hours I told her I would...no planning, just a chat with her roomate who is from Hungary, less than 24 hours later we headed to the train station to hop on a train. Little glitch at the train station, didn't get the ticket we planned on getting but it all worked out in the end. Then we had to sprint to catch our train... that was fun... not, especially since it is all icy outside. But we made it, and we were off to Budapest! We watched Harry Potter pretty much the whole train ride - it was a 6 hour train ride. We started off doing homework, but that didn't last long...

When we arrived at our destination, the next adventure was finding a place to sleep. Since we were not 100% positive that we would be able to get to Budapest for the price we wanted, we decided to not book a hostel in case we didn't go. Well the train station was really sketchy... especially since it was dark and it was the two of us girls, and the language barrier, never have I been to a place where the language is so unfamiliar. We tried asking a guy that looked like he worked at the train station if he spoke English... no luck. SO... we booked it out of there as fast as we could, cause we were creeped out by some of the sketchy people in the station trying to sell us stuff.

We wandered the streets for a while, found an ATM (the exchange rate is GREAT for the Forint) and then continued trying to find a hostel. We walked for a while, with 2 failed attempts at ringing a bell for what was advertised as a hostel. Then we wandered into a Best Western and asked the guy where a hostel was and he pointed us in a direction, but didn't know what it was called.

Looking around at the city lights and the Christmas decorations is pretty cool, but we were done wandering. Eventually we stopped at a KFC to break out a map, we were not about to break out a map in the middle of the side walk - that would make us look even more like tourists and attract attention. Finally with a good idea as to where we were headed we were off again. And we found our hostel! The Broadway Express, nice place and cheap too!

If nothing else from this trip, so far I have learned to take risks, they might just turn out better than expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment