hmm... the transition back into life in the US has been pretty good. There was the excitement at first of being home and seeing all of my favorite people, then there came work and Christmas. Christmas was good, alot of time at church that weekend, which is ok because I love church.
The week after Christmas though, that was when the "re-entry shock" hit me. We had all been warned about it, the cursed reverse culture shock. We had whole class periods on culture shock and reverse culture shock so it wouldnt come as a suprise. But it did. I kept thinking to myself that it wouldnt hit me, but when things slowed down... it snuck up.
I love being home, but I miss Salzburg. I miss our group of 16 of us (no matter how much we got on eachothers nerves by the end). Being able to walk downstairs and talk to someone who totally understands (well mostly, at least knows where you are coming from) and had similar experiences. Being able to hop on a bus and go explore the city, and all things foreign. Looking into the cute little Austrian shops and the Christmas markets. Hoping on a train and going to another foreign country. We just don't get that here in the states. I miss the slower paced life of Salzburg (not that my life here is fast paced, but those around me...), luckily I will get alot of that back when I got back to the middle of nowhere for school.
And people didn't react like I expected when I got back (well most people). Though we were all warned about it (people being so wrapped up in their own little world), I still never expected it to happen. (too bad I didn't write this post when it first hit me, you would have gotten an ear full then...)
No comments:
Post a Comment