Note to self... need to bring a German-English dictionary to the store when I go... I have been telling myself this for the past 2 weeks, and still i haven't done it. It is quite and adventure trying to get groceries. The fruits and vegetables are easy, its the other stuff that gets a bit tricky.
The first time I went, I ended up getting a katchup like substance instead of pasta sauce (to my defence, it said Italia on the bottle and had a picture of the sauce on bread... who puts katchup on bread?!), it took me FOREVER to find butter, because there are no pictures on the butter containers :(, and I ended up getting some type of pork meat instead of chicken like I thought it was (it was still good anyways).
The next time I went, I was looking for cinnamon... first I had to find the spice isle. Then I had to figure out what cinnamon is in German, that took a while, but finally I found a container with what looked like cinnamon stick and it said zimt, so then I found some ground up cinnamon (and it really was cinnamon). Another item on the list for that day was oatmeal, that was fun to try to find... NOT. I finally wandered over to the cereal isle and found what looked like oatmeal, it said Haferflocken, and just got it and hoped it would work (there is no quaker brand here), and it did, but I had to look up how to make it.
Today I was searching for some meat. I got some frankfurters, similar to the American hot dog, because I was almost positive that there was no cheese hidden inside (they do that here, put cheese inside the sausages (Käsewurst)... not good). Then I wandered over for my second attempt to find some chicken. I don't think I wandered far enough, but I did find some type of bird meat, and figured that would be good enough, I would look it up when I got back. It looked like chicken, but it said Truthahn, which actually means turkey. At least its closer to chicken than pork :).
Oh and another thing... they do not give out plastic bags to put groceries in (we knew that before we came because of last years group warning) and you have to put your own groceries in your bag.
So moral of the story, unless I want run the risk of eating something gross, or want to eat some unknown substance, I need to bring a dictionary with me to the grocery store.
No comments:
Post a Comment